If you are tackling the idea of starting your own e-commerce, dropshipping could seem like an attractive business model to start with. You won’t need a supply chain nor have to worry about inventory management.
Because this business model implies that the merchant fulfills the order on your behalf with products sourced directly from the supplier, you won’t have to deal with stock control either.
The only issue with dropshipping is finding trusted merchants and suppliers. Here’s where Oberlo steps in, in an attempt to help you build the relationships your business needs.
In this article, we’re going to tell you all you need to know about this tool, and also give you a few alternatives.
1. What is Oberlo?
Oberlo is a marketplace launched in 2015 and developed to help sellers on Shopify import products from AliExpress directly into their Shopify stores. This integration automatizes the entire dropshipping process, enabling you to have your orders shipped by the suppliers directly to your customers.
Initially, the app only worked with AliExpress. Over the years, however, it added other suppliers who are vetted and monitored by the marketplace, many of whom have better shipping times than AliExpress.
What makes Oberlo different from other similar apps is that you can access a huge variety of products. The platform is user-friendly, optimized, and easy to use.
Besides the web app, Oberlo also comes as a Chrome extension you can use while browsing Aliexpress.
One of the best things about Oberlo is that you can use it for free for up to 500 products; however, the free plan won’t allow you to track your shipments or monitor your order fulfillment.
If you want to sell more products or gain more control, you can opt for one of the paid plans.
Oberlo’s features include:
- Worldwide availability: You can use this web app and its Chrome extension anywhere in the world. Keep in mind though that it’s only available for Shopify stores.
- Intuitive interface: Oberlo is very easy to use; you can browse the marketplace to find products and suppliers, and you can add those products to your store with a simple click.
- Product statistics: A feature that helps you find profitable products by telling you how many retailers already imported them and how many customer visits and orders they received.
- Easy to order shipping: All it takes to have the product shipped by your supplier directly to your shopper is a click of a button.
- Customization: Once imported, you can customize your listing, including changing the title of the product, its description, or images. You’ll also be able to create your own pricing rules.
Oberlo is nothing but a marketplace for the sellers, and it’s very easy to use. There are five simple steps to follow.
1.Open your e-commerce on Shopify.
2. Signup to Oberlo and browse it for products, then add them to your Shopify e-commerce.
3. Wait for your customers to place an order.
4. Once you received an order, place an order for the same product to your supplier.
5. Let Oberlo do the rest. Your supplier will fulfill the order for you, shipping the product directly to your client.
We already mentioned that besides the web app, Oberlo also has a Chrome extension.
This free automation tool is designed to optimize your dropshipping business even more. It only works with AliExpress, but it’s simple, efficient, and very easy to use.
To start enjoying its benefits, download and install it, then open AliExpress in your chrome browser.
Search for a product and click on the extension icon. Oberlo will open a pop-up window from where you’ll be able to select the type of shipping, country, and currency. Make your selections and click Update Settings.
The extension will show you which products comply with your requirements, so you can pick which ones to add to Shopify. Those products that match your search criteria are highlighted in green.
Click on the desired product and import it to your web app. From here, Oberlo will add it to your Shopify store.
That’s it; this is how you can import product from AliExpress to your e-commerce quickly and easily.
Just like any app out there, Oberlo comes with advantages and drawbacks. Let’s have a look at them.
Shopify integration: Perhaps the main advantage of Oberlo is that it integrates with your Shopify store and lets you add products effortlessly, for maximum efficiency and optimization of your business.
Secure AliExpress imports: Finding suppliers has never been so easy. Thanks to the Chrome extension, you can import products directly from AliExpress with one click.
Automated order fulfillment: You won’t have to worry about building relationships with your suppliers or contact them after receiving an order. Oberlo does everything on your behalf.
User-friendly interface: Oberlo has a simple and intuitive dashboard that comes complete with blogs and tutorial videos developed to enhance ease of use and your experience with the platform.
Ability to change suppliers: A quick look on AliExpress will reveal dozens of suppliers for each type of product. If you’re not happy with how one of them fulfilled the order, you can simply change it with another and keep the product in your store.
Competitive prices: Oberlo is free to use for up to 500 products. If you want to add more or need more features, the price plans start at $29.90/month.
1.Oberlo only works on Shopify. You won’t be able to integrate it with other platforms or standalone e-commerce sites.
2. Chrome extension only works with AliExpress.
3. You can’t edit the products directly within Oberlo. You will have to log into your Shopify to change the title or description.
Oberlo is amazing, but it’s not the only app of its kind. If you want to integrate the app with a standalone e-commerce or search for products and suppliers on a wider variety of marketplaces, here are 7 alternatives to check out.
Spocket is a dropshipping app specialized in finding wholesale suppliers of original brand products on the US and EU markets. Working with suppliers in these markets usually guarantees a faster fulfillment of your orders, and you can also increase your profits by benefiting from wholesale discounts.
Price: Free plan up to 25 products; paid plans start at $29/mo
- Compatible with Oberlo
- Automated Shopify orders
- Huge range of US and EU based products
Similar to Oberlo, Dropified helps you find and import products from over 80 marketplaces including AliExpress, Amazon, Wish, Walmart, Overstock, and eBay. It also gives you the possibility to bundle up AliExpress and eBay orders and fulfill all of them with only one click.
Price: Starts at $47/mo
- Bulk editing feature for the products in your Shopify store
- Saves products to wish lists
- Automatic price change and product alerts directly from AliExpress
- Automatic tracking of your orders
- 14-day free trial
If you only want to work with AliExpress and don’t care about other marketplaces, the AliExpress Dropshipping could be your best bet. This web app incorporates a variety of filters you can use to find the right products for your store. It also integrates pricing automation and updates the product info for you.
Price: Starts at $5/mo
- Easy fulfillment of your orders through a semi-automatic process
- Chrome extension lets you import products directly from your browser
- ePacket shipping option for fast and free delivery
- 7-day free trial
AmaZone DropShipper + Walmart
The AmaZone DropShipper + Walmart is a fabulous free app that lets you dropship any Amazon Prime product and deliver it in as little as three days. You can add products from Amazon marketplaces in the US, CA, AUS, DE, FR, ES, and IT or the Walmart US stores directly to your Shopify.
- Quick fulfillment of orders
- It lets you add product images directly from AliExpress
- It integrates with your Shopify and Amazon stores
If you want to source inexpensive products from Chinese suppliers, Chinabrands could be the right dropshipping app for you. This free app gives you access to over 300,000 products, including famous brand products, across 40 categories. You can import any products you want in just minutes and benefit from ultra-fast order fulfillment.
- All orders are fulfilled within 24 hours
- Real-time inventory updates and automatic updates of prices
- Auto-fulfillment feature syncs with your Shopify, so your clients can track the orders
- Totally free for unlimited orders and products
If you want access to a large base of marketplaces and suppliers, check out Importify. This app is compatible with the biggest wholesalers, and you’ll be able to import products from Amazon, AliExpress, Etsy, Wish, Walmart, Alibaba, Overstock, SnapDeal, and Costco, to name just a few.
Price: Start at $14.95/mo
- Advanced product research system lets you spy on your competition
- Semi-automatic order fulfillment from Amazon, AliExpress and other marketplaces
- It lets you change suppliers or migrate products from other apps, including Oberlo
Another great alternative to Oberlo, Ali Orders is a free app that lets you import products from AliExpress. You can use it to import up to 50,000 products and fulfill unlimited orders per month. It also integrates a built-in editor so you can customize your product descriptions and title quickly and efficiently.
- Automate order fulfillment process
- Adds products variants to your Shopify store and links them instantly
- Advanced price rules and automatic price updates
- Finds the products you have imported with other apps for an easier transition
Dropshipping is one of the easiest ways to start up an e-commerce. It’s perfect for those who have little to no experience in an online business, as this method gives you plenty of time to focus on learning and growth.
If you decided to start with a Shopify store, then it’s worth trying Oberlo app to find the right products and suppliers.
Working with AliExpress and other trusted marketplaces, this app integrates with your store and takes the order fulfillment burden off of you. It’s easy to use and comes with a host of features designed to improve your business.
You can even start with a free plan if you really want to see if it suits your needs. More than enough reasons to sign up and give it a try.