Do you want to revamp your Shopify store to get more traffic but do not know how to change the Shopify store name? If yes, then this is the right place for you.
To change the Shopify store name you need to do two things:
- Modify the name of the store that is displayed on your website.
- Modify the URL of your store.
Luckily in this guide, you will learn both, how to change the Shopify store name and the URL. Furthermore, at the end of this guide, we have some Shopify store name tips and tricks for you.
So, let’s begin.
How to Change the Shopify Store Name: Easy Guide
One of the best features of Shopify is that you can change the Shopify store name via your computer and mobile app. And here are the steps for both of these methods.
Method 1. Modification via Computer Administrator Page
- On your desktop computer or laptop log in to your Shopify admin.
- At the bottom of the navigation menu on the left side, click Settings > General.
- In the store name field, you will see your Shopify shop’s current name. Delete it and type in your new store name.
- At the top right, you will see a Save button, click it.
Now refresh the page and you will be able to your new Shopify store name.
Method 2. Modification via Mobile App
- Open the Shopify App (Android or iOS) and your mobile phone and press the Store icon on the bottom right corner.
- Now click Settings.
- In the Store’s setting section click General.
- In the Store details section, there is a field for Store Name. Delete the current name and type the new name that you have chosen for the store.
- Lastly, press the Save button on the top of the screen to save the changes.
Congrats, you have done it!
How to Change Shopify Store URL?
You already know how to change the Shopify store name. But changing the Shopify store URL is a little bit trickier than changing the name of the store. However, the process is doable nonetheless, and here is how you can do it.
Method 1: Buy a New Domain Name Directly via Shopify.
If you do not own the domain that you want to use then follow these steps.
- Log in to your Shopify store’s admin.
- On the left navigation menu, click Online Store > Domains.
- Click on the Buy new domain option in the top right corner.
- In the Domain field type the domain that you want to buy and select your preferred variation.
- Add your card details and buy the domain.
- Shopify will send you an email on the email address that is linked with your Shopify website. Verify the email address by clicking on the verification link in the email.
- Go back to the Domains page. And click on the Change primary domain in the Primary domain section.
- Select the new domain.
- Click Save.
And with that, you are done!
Method 2: Transfer Domain Name Purchased Third-Party Domain Provider
Do you already own the domain that you want to use? Follow these steps to prepare the domain before initiating the transfer.
- Check if the email on your third-party domain provider is right.
- Unlock the domain you want to transfer.
- Get the domain authorization code by clicking on Transfer out, Transfer, or similar option.
Now follow these steps:
- Click on Online store > Domain page > Transfer Domain.
- Enter the Domain name.
- Click Next > Verify domain.
- If you have followed the preparation steps correctly then the Domain Unlocked option will show, click next to continue.
- In the Verification Code field enter the authorization code given by the third party domain provider.
- Click Next > Buy and transfer.
- Check the email address linked to your domain and Confirm or Approve transfer by clicking on the verification link in the email.
It takes up to 20 days for your domain to be transferred. But once it is done you will get a confirmation email from Shopify.
FAQs About Shopify Store Name
Q1. Can I only modify the store name without modifying the URL?
Yes, you can modify the Shopify store name without changing the URL. Whether you are on your computer or on your mobile phone, go to Settings > General > Store Name and change the name of your Shopify store there.
Q2. Where can I buy a Shopify domain name more cost-effectively?
Shopify is a great platform because it does everything for you. You can get your domain set up without needing to do any configuration manually. However, the domain available on Shopify can sometimes be expensive. The following is the list of third-party domain providers that are cost-effective:
The authorization code that you get to complete the transfer of your domain is usually valid for 40 days. However, the expiration period might defer so always read the instructions provided by your domain provider.
Q4. How to add the Shopify store’s subdomain?
The subdomain is a variation of your domain that adds a prefix to your domain’s root. For example, in shop.shopify.com, “shop” is the subdomain and “shopify.com” is the domain root.
If you are using international domains then you can easily change them to a region-specific domain, such as “ca.shopify.com”.
This is how you can do it:
- Go to Shopify Admin, click on Settings > Domains.
- For the domain that you want to add subdomains to click Manage.
- Click “Add Subdomain”.
- Enter the prefix that you want, i.e. Ca, EU, or you can type shop or blog as well.
Tips and Tricks for Changing Shopify Store Name
- Before you try to change your store name, check if the relevant domain is available in the market.
- Keep the store name short or you will not be able to find a suitable domain.
- Choose a store name that is similar to your niche.
You have learned how to change the Shopify store name, congratulation! For similar guides, check out our blog page. Peace out!