Everybody likes a bargain and, as the retail world becomes increasingly competitive, there are more and more ways to save money on your shopping. From discount vouchers to loyalty schemes, sensible shoppers are making the most of all of the money saving opportunities available. Shoppers can now enjoy discounts without the hassle by using apps such as Honey.
Honey is a clever browser extension and Chrome add on which takes the work out of looking for discounts by automatically searching for and applying them when you shop on your favorite websites. Honey is free to download and is supported on the following browsers:
Although Honey is not yet available for mobile users, plans are in place to add this option in the near future.
First things first, you need to install Honey on your laptop or desktop computer – don’t worry, it’s really quick and easy!
Once you’re all set up, check that the Honey icon is displayed on your menu and you’re ready to start shopping! Here’s how:
Step 1 : Go to your chosen shopping website and browse for products and add items to your cart as you would normally but don’t check out just yet.
Step 2 : Click onto your shiny new Honey icon to view all coupons which are available for the store you’re shopping on.
Step 3: Hit ‘Apply Coupons’ – if there are any discounts available for your store, these will now be added to your cart.
Step 4: Click onto ‘Continue to checkout’ and complete the process in the usual way.
You’ll see that the discounts have been applied and subtracted from the total amount payable.
At the moment, there are a number of online outlets which support Honey as outlined below. If your favorite store isn’t included, don’t worry – Honey is working to add to the list so your store may be available soon. Even if your favorite isn’t on the list, it’s worth checking the app just in case as stores are constantly being added and, it only takes a couple of seconds to click onto the icon.
At the moment, the most popular stores using Honey are:
You can’t please all of the people all of the time – here’s our guide to what’s great – and not so great – about the Honey app:
- The Honey app is really easy to install onto your laptop or desktop computer and takes literally seconds to get up and running.
- The Honey app is 100% free to install.
- The app saves a huge amount of time on searching for applicable and non-expired discount codes before shopping as the app automatically searches each store that you visit.
- The app offers available discounts in tons of major online shopping, travel and other service outlets and is being added to almost daily.
- Big savings to be had on a wide variety of products and services – particularly with regular use.
- Customer support can be a little hit and miss which can be frustrating if you’re looking for a quick answer.
- Honey Travel is run by a separate company and is known to refuse to fully refund customers.
- Coupons are not always available to users even though they are advertised as such.
- The Honey app is not available to cell phone users, although Honey says that this is something which is in the pipeline for the near future.
- The app doesn’t always give you specifics of the discount code to be applied, meaning that you will need to apply the discount before learning what it actually entails.
- Many discounts offered are already expired – some as far back as 2014 – which can be a little annoying.
- The Honey app is prone to crashing and will often kick you out of a site that you are shopping on – and empty your cart so you may have to start all over again!
Honey is great for saving you money on your shopping – follow our tips to save even more!
Saving money is a great idea – such a great idea, in fact, that Honey is not the only online resource that can get you discounts on your shopping.
Cashbackbase is a site dedicated to saving Amazon shoppers money. Free to sign up, users need to register with Cashbackbase first in order to enjoy savings of up to 100%. Once registered, users can browse the Cashbackbase site for offers on a huge number of products including tech, clothing, cosmetics and household goods. Unfortunately, there’s no search option as yet so you need to make sure you have the time to browse. Once you’ve found a deal that you want, purchase the item from Amazon in the usual way and then submit your order to Cashbackbase via your account in order to have the appropriate discount refunded to your account.
Another cashback site, Ebates is Ebates offers cashback when you shop at more than 2500 stores. Boasting that it has paid members over $1 billion in cashback since its inception in 1998, members earn a bonus on joining and then receive quarterly cash back payments from their purchases by check or Paypal. To enjoy cashback, users need to register with Ebates and shop through the site. Unfortunately, Ebates is currently only available to users in the United States.
A little different from the cashback sites, Camel Camel Camel is a price checking tool which allows Amazon customers to make sure that they’re getting the best price possible for a particular product. Camel Camel Camel is free and easy to join and gives members the benefit of notifications of price drops and comparisons for Amazon products.
The Camelizer is part of Camel Camel Camel and is available as an extension. The Camelizer allows users to view price history charts and various product pages without having to navigate away from a retailer’s site. The Camelizer supports Firefox, Chrome and Safari and is available in a number of territories including the USA, UK, Japan, Canada, Italy and Spain.
For UK customers, Quidco is a great alternative to Honey. Like Honey, Quidco has a quick and easy sign up process after which users can receive cash back on purchases either by check or by Paypal. In addition, Quidco customers can register a debit card on the site in order to receive cash back from in-store purchases.
With so many savings available at just the click of a button, cashback sites are becoming more and more popular with savvy shoppers. Just make sure that you always read all of the terms and conditions for membership of the site and, the individual product purchase conditions.